Thursday 21 February 2013

People at the Bus Stop

This isn't the first time I've written about people I've met at a bus stop. Last year I wrote an entry about a conspiracy theorist that was into experimental medicine and Doctor Who.

I also met an elderly lady on her way home from Sydney after she had to babysit her grandchildren up there, and found out that I'm good friends with one of her grandchildren who who goes to the same school as me.

See, I always make an effort to be friendly and polite, especially when you could be waiting for a bus for nearly an hour.

But there's always people that I don't make a deliberate effort to talk to. The people that are the reason your parents told you not to talk to strangers.

Yesterday, a guy was walking towards me at the bus stop, and I know this guy's type. He's shady-looking, probably lives with his parents, hangs around at the skate park, and did illicit drugs, or still does. (I was right on all counts)

I'm thinking, "He'll either ask me for a cigarette, or a lighter for his own cigarettes." Sure enough,
"Hey man, do you smoke cigarettes?"
"Nah sorry man."
"That's alright."

Then there was a pause, and then he said:
"So how's it going?"

And what followed was an incredible conversation I'll never forget. I told him I just watched Planet of the Apes, and we started talking about Charlton Heston, then we started talking about The Ten Commandments (The movie) and one thing led to another.

By the time my bus arrived, we had discussed our shared faith in God, he told me his life story and I told him mine. We shared stories about prophetic ministry, prayer and worship, the Holy Spirit, and the grace of God. And he decided he should come to my church on Sunday. I was going to invite him, but he beat me to it!


Now, I'm not suggesting that you go and say hi to everyone you see, because you never know who you'll meet. But when you're stuck at the bus stop for half an hour, and there's someone sitting next to you, don't ignore them, especially if you catch the same bus as them frequently.

Because I talked to a guy for half an hour, and now he's coming to my church on Sunday, and I'm going to save a seat for him.

But more importantly than that, don't ever judge someone before you get to know them! I know it's a cliché; but I'm serious. This guy might have been a street rat asking strangers for a smoke, but he was also a prophet, and a devoted evangelist with a passion for street kids like himself.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you really never know who you're going to meet! We should be accepting of everyone! no matter their sexual orientation or appearance!

    ReplyDelete